- 2 cups spinach
- 2 cups unsweetened coconut milk or your favorite nondairy milk
- 1 orange, peeled
- 1 cup cooked sweet potato, chilled
- 1 cup frozen pineapple
- 1/2 inch fresh ginger, peeled
- Juice of 1⁄2 lime
- 1 1/2 Tbsp flax or some other hippy seeds or protein powders
- Blend the spinach and coconut milk until smooth.
- Add the orange, sweet potato, pineapple, ginger, lime juice, and protein. Blend again.
Makes 2 good sized smoothies. Adapted (..ahem) from thugkitchen.com
- 1 oz Toulouse Red Absinthe
- 1 oz coffee
- ½ oz half & half
- ½ oz Orgeat (almond) syrup
Allow coffee to approach room temperature or use a cold brew for optimal dillution.
Fill cocktail shaker with ice. Combine all ingredients and shake well.
Strain mixture into a rocks glass filled with crushed ice.
Recipe from The Local Palate
The Dawn Treader
- 1 cup packed parsley sprigs
- 1/2 tsp. grated lime zest
- 1 cup cold water
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 (10 oz) bottle club soda
- Gin or Vodka
Purée all ingredients except club soda in a blender 1 minute. Strain through a fine-mesh sieve into a large glass measure. Serve over ice with booze and and top off with club soda.
Makes 6 drinks
Note: Freshly prepared, this drink is plutonium green and glowing. If you let it sit for too long, instead it becomes bog water greenish brown, good for tricking people into thinking they’re drinking spiked diarrhea.
- 1 orange wedge
- 3 Maraschino cherries
- 4 dashes Angostura bitters
- 4 dashes Peychaud’s bitters
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 splash water
- 2 oz bourbon
Add sugar, water, both bitters, wedge of orange, and 2 cherries to rocks or old fashioned glass. Muddle fruit well. Add bourbon. Fill glass with ice. Garnish with orange round and cherry. Top off with water if necessary.