- ½ cup matzo meal
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons reserved chicken fat or vegetable oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 Tbsps chicken stock or seltzer (which both of our mothers swear by for making the balls extra light)
- 2 to 3 quarts prepared chicken stock (recipe above)
- 1 carrot, thinly sliced
- A few sprigs of dill
- Mix all matzo ball ingredients in a bowl. Cover and place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Bring 1 ½ quarts of well-salted water to a brisk boil in a medium sized pot.
- Reduce the flame. Run your hands under water so they are thoroughly wet. Form matzo balls by dropping spoonfuls of matzo ball batter approximately 1-inch in diameter into the palm of your wet hands and rolling them loosely into balls. Drop them into the simmering salt water one at a time. Cover the pot and cook them for 30 to 40 minutes.
- About ten minutes before the matzo balls are ready, bring prepared chicken stock to a simmer with the sliced carrot in it. Ladle some soup and a couple matzo balls into each bowl and top with a couple snips of dill. Eat immediately.
Makes 8 to 12 matzo balls