- 3 small chickens, or 4 lbs.
- Tony’s or Seasoning Mix
- 3/4 cup butter
- 3/4 cup flour
- 2 cups onion, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup celery, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp rubbed sage
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp white pepper
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 lb mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup parsley, chopped
- Rub chicken pieces with spices and arrange in roasting pan(s). Roast in pre-heated 400˚ oven for 30 minutes or until skin is brown.
- Make a dark roux with flour and butter. When proper color is attained, add celery, onions, and bell pepper. Cokk 20 minutes, stirring and scraping the bottom of the pot occasionally. Add garlic, sage, thyme, black and white pepper, and salt. Slowly stir in 4 cups of stock, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occosionally. Add the mushrooms, green onions and parsley and cook for minute. Remove pot from heat.
- Pour the sauce over the chciken halves in the roasting pan and return the pan to the oven, reducing heat to 350˚. Roast 20 minutes or until chicken is thoroughly done. Serve with steamed rice, spooning lots of sauce over the rice and the chicken.
From: Gumbo Shop: Traditional and Contempory Creole Cuisine