- Four boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ medium-sized onion, diced (about ¾ of a cup)
Sour cream sauce:
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 Serrano chiles, diced
- 2 Tbsps butter
- 2 Tbsps flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1 tsp cumin
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- 8 fresh tomatillos, husks removed and cut in half or one 10 oz. can of tomatillos
- Dash cayenne
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 12 corn tortillas
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Sprinkle the chicken breasts on each side with the salt and black pepper. In a large cast-iron set on medium heat, and cook the chicken breasts on each side for three minutes. Place in the oven and bake for 30 minutes. When the chicken is done, take the chicken out of the oven and let cool. Then shred with two forks. Keep the oven on as you’ll be using it again.
- While the chicken is baking, melt the butter in a pot. Add diced Serrano chiles and cook until soft, about three or four minutes. Add the minced garlic and cook for another minute. Add the flour and cook for one more minute. Pour the chicken broth into the pot, and whisking constantly cook until chicken broth has thickened. Stir in the sour cream, cumin, cayenne and cilantro. Remove from heat.
- If using fresh tomatillos, place them under the broiler on a foil-lined sheet and cook on each side until blackened, about four minutes per side. Place in a blender along with the sour cream sauce and puree into smooth. If using canned tomatillos, skip the broiler step and just place them in the blender with the sour cream sauce and proceed.
- Heat the canola oil in a skillet and cook the corn tortillas on each side a couple of minutes until soft. Wrap in a cloth to keep warm as you continue to cook all 12.
- To assemble the enchiladas, pour one cup of the sour cream sauce in the bottom of a casserole pan. Take each corn tortilla and place in the middle 1/3 cup of shredded chicken, 1 teaspoon of diced onions and 1 tablespoon of cheese.
- Roll the tortillas around the filling and place the rolled tortillas seam side down in the casserole dish. Cover the enchiladas with the remaining sauce and cheese and bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until top is brown and bubbling.
Serve topped with chopped cilantro. Makes 12 enchiladas.