- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1/2 cup coarsely grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- 1 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 turns freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp Pernod
- 24 Fried Oysters
- 4 cups assorted greens (arugula, frisèe, radicchio, watercress, mustard, or other salad greens)
- 1/2 cup roasted pecan pieces
- Beat the egg in large bowl. Slowly whisk in the oil, then the buttermilk. Continue whisking as you add the garlic, green onions, 1/4 cup of the Parmesan, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and Pernod. Whisk until thoroughly emulsified. Makes about 1 cup.
- Prepare the Fried Oysters and keep warm.
- Add the greens to the dressing in the bowl and toss. Add the pecan pieces and toss again.
- To serve, mound about 1 cup salad on each of 4 plates. Arrange 5 oysters around each mound of greens and place another oyster on top. Sprinkle each with 1 tablespoon of the remaining Parmesan cheese
Yield: 4 first-course salads
Note: Preheat the oven to 375°F. Place the pecans or other nuts on a baking sheet in the oven and roast until golden and fragrant, for about 5 to 6 minutes. Watch carefully to be sure they don’t burn. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for 2 weeks.