- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 1/2 tablespoon whole cloves
- 1 tablespoon plus 1/2 teaspoon cardamom seeds
- 3 tablespoons cumin seeds
- 3 tablespoons coriander seeds
- 4 (3-inch) cinnamon sticks
- 1/4 cup dried red chiles
- 1/2 tablespoon freshly grated nutmeg
In a large saute pan, combine the black peppercorns, cloves, cardamom seeds, cumin seeds, coriander seeds, cinnamon sticks, and dried red chiles. Over medium heat, cook just until slightly toasted, stirring constantly. Turn off heat and stir in the grated nutmeg.
Transfer to a food processor and grind to a fine powder. Pass through a fine strainer. Allow to cool to room temperature. Store in an airtight jar. Use as needed, i.e. in daal.