- 2 slices applewood-smoked bacon
- 3/4 cup sliced green onions, divided
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1 lb yellow summer squash, chopped
- 1 lb frozen white and yellow baby corn kernels, thawed and divided
- 2 1/4 cups 1% low-fat milk, divided
- 1 tsp chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- Cook bacon in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat until crisp. Remove bacon from pan, reserving 2 teaspoons drippings in pan. Crumble bacon, and set aside.
- Add 1/2 cup onions, celery, and squash to drippings in pan; sauté 8 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Reserve 1 cup corn; set aside. Place the remaining corn and 1 cup milk in a blender; process until smooth. Add remaining 1 1/4 cups milk, thyme, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper to blender; process just until combined. Add pureed mixture and reserved 1 cup corn to pan. Reduce heat to medium; cook 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated, stirring constantly. Stir in 1/8 teaspoon salt.
- Ladle about 1 1/2 cups soup into each of 4 bowls; top each serving with about 1 tablespoon bacon, 1 tablespoon remaining onions, and 1 tablespoon cheese.
Makes 4 servings.