- 1 cup canned fried onions
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 10 oz cremini or white mushrooms, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream
- 2 lb green beans
- 2 slices white sandwich bread, torn into pieces
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 2 cups canned fried onions
- Pulse canned fried onions in food processor until finely ground. Set aside.
- Melt butter in large skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms, 3/4 tsp salt, and 1/2 tsp pepper and cook until mushrooms release their liquid, about 5 minutes. Increase heat to medium-high and cook until liquid has evaporated, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and thyme and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add flour and ground onions and cook until golden, about 1 minute. Stir in broth and cream and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, ntil sauce is very thick and creamy, about 10 minutes
- Combine sauce and green beans in slow cooker. Cover and cook on low until beans are tender, 5 to 6 hours.
- Meanwhile, pulse bread and butter in food processor until coarsely ground. Toast bread crumbs and onions in clean skillet over medium-high heat until golden brown, 3-5 minutes. Top green beans with bread crumb mixture.