Alone or stuffed in a bell pepper, this dirty rice is the real ish. Ron, upon tasting, said this rice was “mad light, but mad good”.
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 lb. ground pork
- 1/2 lb. ground beef
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup bell peppers, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 2 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. cayenne
- 1 large eggplant, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes (~ 2lbs)
- 1 cup water
- 6 cups cooked long-grain rice
- 2 Tbsp. chopped parsley
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat and brown the pork and beef. Add the onions, bell peppers, and celery and cook for bout 5 minutes, or until the vegetables are wilted. Add the salt, cayenne, eggplant, and water. Cook, stirring often, for about 10 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium and cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for about 30 minutes, or until eggplant is very soft. With a spoon, mash the eggplant against the side of the pot.
- Add the rice and parsley. Mix thoroughly, breaking up any clumps. Heat until rice is warmed through. Serve Immediately.
Makes 8 servings