Skip to content
- 1 cup canned fried onions
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 10 oz cremini or white mushrooms, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream
- 2 lb green beans
- 2 slices white sandwich bread, torn into pieces
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 2 cups canned fried onions
- Pulse canned fried onions in food processor until finely ground. Set aside.
- Melt butter in large skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms, 3/4 tsp salt, and 1/2 tsp pepper and cook until mushrooms release their liquid, about 5 minutes. Increase heat to medium-high and cook until liquid has evaporated, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and thyme and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add flour and ground onions and cook until golden, about 1 minute. Stir in broth and cream and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, ntil sauce is very thick and creamy, about 10 minutes
- Combine sauce and green beans in slow cooker. Cover and cook on low until beans are tender, 5 to 6 hours.
- Meanwhile, pulse bread and butter in food processor until coarsely ground. Toast bread crumbs and onions in clean skillet over medium-high heat until golden brown, 3-5 minutes. Top green beans with bread crumb mixture.
- 3-4 lb lean beef short ribs
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp dry mustard
- 2 medium onions, sliced and separated into rings
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 cup beer, wine, beef broth (or water)
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 3 Tbsp water
- Place short ribs on broiler rack or in skillet and brown to remove fat; drain well.
- Combine 1/2 cup flour with the paprika, salt and dry mustard; toss with short ribs.
- Place remaining ingredients except 2 Tbsps flour and the water in slow cooker; stir to mix ribs with onion rings (be sure onions are under ribs – not on top). Cover and cook on Low for 8 – 12 hours or on High for 4 – 6 hrs.
- Remove short ribs to warm serving platter. If thickened gravy is desired, make a smooth paste of flour and water. Turn slow-cooker to High and stir in paste. Cover and cook until gravy is thickened.
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1/4 cup whipping cream
- 1 cup frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 2 Tbsp chopped pimento
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 tsp garlic salt
- 2 Tbsp grated parmesan
- 2 tsp grated onion
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- Combine cream cheese and cream in slow cooker. Cover and cook on low until cheese is melted, 1 – 1 1/2 hrs.
- Add remaining ingredients, cover and cook on low about 45 minutes.
- 3 to 5 pound top beef chuck roast, trimmed of excess fat
- Seasoned salt and lemon pepper
- 1 onion, peeled and halved
- 1 carrot, whole
- 1 cup beef broth, low sodium
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, whole
- 1 rosemary sprig
- 2 thyme sprigs
- 1 pound new red potatoes
- 1 cup baby carrots
- 1 cup boiling or pearl onions
- 1 cup baby squash, such as pattypan and zucchini
- 1 cup button mushrooms, stems removed
- Kosher salt
- Sprinkle roast with seasoned salt and lemon pepper to taste. Place onion and carrot in the bottom of a 5 or 6 quart crockery cooker. Lay the meat on top of the vegetables. Pour in the broth and Worcestershire sauce. Season with garlic, rosemary and thyme.
- Cover and set dial to low-heat. Allow to gently simmer for 5 to 6 hours. Remove the cover and add the baby vegetables around the roast. Sprinkle with seasoned salt and continue to cook covered on low-heat for an additional 1 to 1 = hours.
Yield: 6 to 8 servings